Before we can recommend a product for your business, we have a few questions for you and a few things to consider.
1. What are you looking for for an email address?
Free Email Box - Setting up a firstname.lastname@example.org is a pretty easy way to get started with email and not a bad way to start out these days for small businesses such as hunting/fishing outfitters.
- Pros - Easy set up and it's becoming more widely accepted. Also, easy setup on your computers, smartphones, along with easy calendar/contacts/to-do lists syncing.
- Cons - Gmail serves up ads based on your emails, so is monitoring your business emails. Also to consumers buying your products or service, it has a little bit less of a professional presence but again, it's becoming more and more accepted with small and even mid-sized businesses.
Professional Email Box - If you want to have a little more professional-looking email presence, having email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org is another way to present your email address.
- Pros - Professional looking with the email@example.com
- Cons - If your domain ever lapses, you will lose your email and we have seen countless horror stories of people getting held hostage for thousands of dollars because they forgot to renew their domain name for $29/Annually. Also, if you want to migrate to a new host or provider, you will need to know what you are doing or pay someone to migrate the email.
2. What features do you need?
First, we typically like to ask clients to answer questions before we can make a recommendation.
- What kind of computer(s) do you use and smartphone do you use?
- Which device do you use more for checking emails and how are you currently checking emails? i.e. Webmail version, Microsoft Outlook on your Mac/Windows, iPhone Native App, iPhone Gmail App, Android Native App, etc.
- How are you currently managing your calendar, contacts and to-do lists? Do you use your current email for this?
- Will you need Microsoft Office Products (Word, Excel, etc.)?
- Do you have a need for file storage for your business such as Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, or Dropbox?
- Will you need more than 1 email for your business or will you be sharing the email with more than 1 individual in your small business?
- Multiple Users/Shared Email Box - If you have multiple company employees, share computers or share email, our email is a great way to share email with your company employees. For example, if you have 3 employees, you can share firstname.lastname@example.org with all of your employees, vs. having 3 separate emails. It can work great if you have part-time employees or employees that don't check their email often.
- Email Aliases - You can have unlimited email aliases if you want. Example: you can set up email@example.com and put that domain on brochures so you know when people email you from the brochure. Or you can have an alias that gets emailed to multiple people in your organization. There are plenty of reasons why you may want to utilize an email alias. Search on Google for more reasons why.
- Multiple Email Addresses - Tired of checking multiple email accounts online? Using an email client such as Microsoft Outlook or Mozilla Thunderbird, you can drag and drop emails between that and your company email. You can also link your Gmail, AOL, Yahoo or Hotmail accounts as well into Mozilla Thunderbird so you can drag and drop files between those and your new company email address.
3. What product do we recommend/Final Steps
This question completely is dependent on question number 2 above. Once we get back the questions from Step 2, we will give you some options, additional things to think about, and then we will set you up with the whole solution. Make sure NOT to purchase the solution, so we can set the solution up correctly under your account and properly. If you set up the solution for your business, it can cost additional money in consulting depending on what you want us to do. In the meantime, you can take a look at some platform options and pricing options:
- Microsoft Office 365 - Email Pricing
- Google Workspace - Email Pricing
- Rackspace Email - Email Pricing
Still need help or don't want to DIY?
We have maintenance service and website update packages available. Please fill out a ticket and a 3plains representative will reach out to you with details on pricing and packages.
Back to Email