Website Design Process
Website Design Process & Instructions for New Clients
Thank you for choosing 3plains for your new website design. Our team looks forward to working with you on the project. To ensure that the project goes smoothly and is completed in a timely fashion, we have the project schedule and instructions for you below.
- Website Portal Login - Prior to the setup call, make sure you have logged into the website portal. You should have set up a password when you submitted your proposal but if you are not clear on where to login you can login HERE.
If you don't know your username and password, contact your 3plains representative.
- Domain - Every situation is different, but make sure you know where your domain is registered and have the registrar login credentials ready for the call, as we will not be able to move forward with the website design until we have access to your domain.
1. Website Setup Call
The setup will be scheduled after the website design proposal has been submitted. Plan on 10 to 15 minutes for the call to review the project schedule and answer any questions you may have.
2. Design Phase
You will be working with our creative design team on the first phase of the website design. To get started on your design, they will need you to answer some questions. The design questionnaire will be added to the ticket for your responses after the website setup call. Please add your responses to the ticket and do not email or text your answers, or any correspondence for the project.
We try and keep all correspondence within the ticket to keep the project organized.
Submitting Photos in The Design Phase:
The design team will be sending you instructions on how to add photos through the website portal. You can reach out to your design agent if you have any questions or are having issues adding photos.
DO NOT EMAIL, TEXT, OR ATTACH PHOTOS TO THE TICKET. ANY PHOTOS SENT IN THIS FASHION WILL BE DELETED.
If you have photos for a photo gallery, please hold on to those until we get the website design approved. Once that is done, your website will be set up on our staging server, so when you log in to the Portal, you can start creating photo galleries and get all the photos loaded in each one.
If you are unsure of how to properly send photos to us for your design, this short video will walk you through the process step-by-step:
Approval of Design Proof
When the design team has completed the design proof, a mock-up of the home page will be attached to the ticket. Please review the design thoroughly and request changes or approve the design within the ticket.
Items to look for when approving the design proof:
- Color scheme - do you like the colors used on the design?
- Call to action boxes - the CTA's will be situated directly under the header photos. Normally things like "Photo Gallery" or "Our Hunts". They should highlight your most important services or products.
- Navigation - Are you happy with the structure of the navigation?
- Background colors, images, or textures.
- All content and contact details will be dummy text at this stage so do not be alarmed if these details are not what you have in mind. The purpose of this proof is only to get your feedback on the design itself.
3. Development Phase
When the design has been completed and approved, your website will move on to the development phase. No action is required from you at this time. Our developers will be implementing the design on your development site. During this phase the pages and navigation will be built out according to the design and feedback in the ticket, so again, please don't touch anything in your site other than photo galleries. This is a good time to start adding galleries and photos before the content phase.
Once the design is implemented and tested, the ticket will move back to the project manager and they will work with you to add content to the site.
4. Content Phase
Once your website design has been implemented, we can move on to adding content. You can send us the content and have us upload it for you, but we recommend trying to add some content yourself, as this is a good time to familiarize yourself with the content management system and ask questions while the website is not yet live. Here are some instructional videos on using the content management system and the different tools:
3plains CMS/Portal overview - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy-F0dlo_To
Adding a new webpage - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znudo8wB9t4
Adding/Editing content blocks - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd1M4P-YJao
Adding links to content blocks - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HSIfY7lA3E
Adding new photo galleries - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RZJZzOBKjo
Adding photos to photo galleries - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TsKUu1fJ5c
Adding and arranging navigation buttons - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVMddRsyj1w
Adding and sizing header and slider photos to website - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNXArepbqXo
Dog breeder CMS overview - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV2xkh2jufI ***dog breeders only***
If you do choose to send your content to us to have us upload it for you, please DO NOT copy and paste the content into the ticket. The best way for you to get us content is by compiling everything in a Word Document (or similar document style) and attaching that document in a ticket update. Please also try to structure the content within that document in a way that is easy for us to understand how you envision the content being added to the website. Be specific and organized about which pages the content should go on, and any other details you think we will need.
Feel free to touch base with us if you have any questions on how to send us content.
5. Website Launch
When the content has been built out and all the pages on your website are complete, your website is ready to move to the launch schedule. Before we go live with your new website, it's a good idea to do a final review.
Website Launch Checklist:
- Review the content on all pages for spelling and grammatical errors.
- Confirm that address, phone number, and email address are correct in the header, footer, and on the contact page.
- Review the contact form to make sure all fields and service options are accurate.
- Click through the navigation and Call to Action boxes on the homepage to make sure they are linking to the correct pages.
When you are confident your website is ready to go live, update the ticket with your approval to launch and we will move your project into the launch schedule. Normally we will be able to launch your website within 48 hours and you should see it live on the internet within 24 hours after launch as the DNS propagation takes effect.
Items to consider after your website launches:
- If you had a website previously, make sure you shut down your hosting services. Your previous website host provider will not stop charging you just because you no longer see the website. You need to end the subscription.
- If you are managing your own domain make sure it is on auto renew and you will need to manage renewing the registration moving forward. If you ever change credit cards, remember to update the card that you have on file with your domain registrar to ensure that renewal payments are not missed.
At 3plains we offer a variety of marketing packages. From digital marketing (SEO), email marketing & SMS to Google Ads management, we can assist you in using your new website as a sales tool to grow your business. If you are interested in our marketing services, talk to your 3plains representative about setting up a consultation.
Still need help or don't want to DIY?
We have maintenance service and website update packages available. Please fill out a ticket and a 3plains representative will reach out to you with details on pricing and packages.
Back to Website Design