Transfer Domain Away from Wix or Email Away from Wix
If you have a client that needs to transfer their wix domain name and email away from Wix, follow these instructions below. We were not sure ourselves and searched Google for a few responses because it's not like Wix wants to be that helpful with "moving away" from them and I suppose I can't blame them losing the business.
Wix mailbox transfer to Google - RE: "Hi, we have acquired 2 Gsuite emailboxes with WIX as reseller. Now we are going to move our website and domain away from WIX and would like to move our mailboxes to Gsuite. Would you be able to advice us how we can transfer this service to Google without interruption?"
Instructions for transferring a domain name and/or email away from Wix.
1. Domain Name
First, transfer ownership of the Google Workspace / Google Gsuite / Google Apps account, so that the account can be their own and not handled by Wix. It keeps the email flowing, so there is no email disruptions. Follow the steps below.
First, we recommend transferring the domain over IF the domain ownership/registration is at Wix.com. If not, go to email below or Ifollow the instructions below.
- Unlock the domain name at Wix.
- Make a note (text file) of the DNS Zone records so you can redo them at the next Registrar (ie. A Records, CNAME Records, MX Records, TXT Records, etc.).
- Submit a domain name transfer request from another Domain Name Registrar (i.e. 3plains, eNom, Godaddy, Google Domains, Network Solutions, etc).
- Typically the domain name transfer will take 5-7 business days. A confirmation email saying this is complete during this time.
- After the the conformation email, enter the DNS Zone records into the domain name at the new registrar.
- After this is completed, you can now move on to the email (we just think it's easier this way).
2. Email (Google Email)
The email accounts are actually hosted by Google Workspace (formerly Google Gsuite / Google Apps) but billed by Wix through a Google/Wix partnership. To move your email away from Wix, the following steps must be completed in order.
- Contact Google Workspace support to ensure that the account is setup and ready for the account transfer. Google will confirm the price and the account is in good standing.
- Contact Wix support in your account and let them know the billing will need to be switched over to Google. Note: Wix info is under billing and subscriptions.
- Once completed, follow up with Wix support and they will transfer over the account to Google.
- You will receive a link via email from Wix that will take you to a Google page where you fill in your new billing details.
Note: If you paid in advance for your mailboxes, the amount paid will be transferred over to your new account so you won’t lose any credit.
Still need help or don't want to DIY?
We have maintenance service and website update packages available. Please fill out a ticket and a 3plains representative will reach out to you with details on pricing and packages.
Back to Technical